Apr 4, 2013

Day 4 #HAWMC Care Page

Hearing "you/your child has diabetes" is one of the worst sentences you'll ever hear. I know you are shaking your head in agreement. We've been there. We remember the day of diagnosis like it was yesterday. Shoot...I even remember what I was wearing! It's been almost 8 years since my first daughter was diagnosed. There was no Facebook, Twitter or DOC that I knew of to find others. So, where do you go?Today's posts challenges us to create a Care Page (really no challenge...as I'm sure I'm going to need to limit myself so it's not a Care Book!!) 

The first place I went was JDRF. In fact I called their local office the second day in the hospital to request a Bag of Hope and received a call from my mentor the day we arrived home from our week stay in the hospital. I truly believed her attitude set me up to be to have a positive outlook about diabetes and living. From then on I've helped out at the JDRF office in some capacity. For me, I feel like JDRF is extended family. They have been there for me since the first diagnosis and they were there for me with the second diagnosis.  I could keep spewing my love for JDRF but I'll stop and just advise you to find your local chapter and have them connect you to a mentor. Finding another family, child, or young adult in the same situation who just "gets it" makes all the difference in the world! 

The second place I went was the American Diabetes Association. Here in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, the ADA holds the diabetes camps. I signed both the girls up as soon as I could. I knew that camp would be a place they would feel "normal". Nora was 5 when she went to her first camp and it empowered her with her care each year. She went from syringes to insulin pens and injecting herself (with adult assistance, of course) to wanting an insulin pump. It was fantastic! She was able to come to us and say, "hey! I'm ready to try this!" Then I signed up Evelyn literally the month after she was diagnosed. I forced her to go knowing how great an experience it was for Nora. It may have been too soon. She was old enough to be a counselor and was in charge of 13 nine year old girls...I think she stressed out a day or two but in the end she loved it and is going as a counselor again this year. 

Local Support Groups...yes, I know, many don't like the term "support" but honestly that's exactly  what it is...support! Finding other families and kids living the D life. However, if that's not your type of thing...you can always find a TON of support groups on Facebook. If you type in diabetes in the search bar all the diabetes groups will pop up as options. Pick and choose or choose them all!! Nothing like being able to vent about diabetes at 3am to a group that is up doing the same thing! 

Of course, the Blue Heel Society, (shameless plug...I know!). We have a great team of 3 caregivers to T1D's of different ages and an adult T1D. We have different perspectives that merge together and create a wonderful place to listen, vent, learn and find your voice to advocate and wear blue shoes!! What better way to talk about diabetes when someone sees your awesome blue shoes, comments and then you unleash a flow of diabetes facts and who you wear them for...it works! 

I try and follow a couple other blogs too. Hallie writes the Princess and the Pump and talks about life with her T1D daughter. The other is Meri at Our Diabetic Life. She has three of four boys with T1D. Meri was the one I reached out to after our second daughter was diagnosed. Both ladies write so beautifully and I just "get" them and each of their posts. There are sooo many wonderful diabetic blogs that I know I haven't scratched the surface. 

I haven't forgotten about the Type 2 diabetics!! I like to follow the Angry Type 2 Diabetic also. Lizmari isn't really angry...well...she is with diabetes!! I like to follow her because she has taught me so much about Type 2 diabetes. I'm ashamed to admit it but I had the common misconception about Type 2 diabetics but through her blog posts and her Facebook page I now know that there are just as many misconceptions about Type 2 as there are about Type 1. Lizmari is a smart, sassy, tell-it-like-it-is lady who advocates for all types of diabetics and educates the masses about Type 2. 

I do want to acknowledge that being newly diagnosed is overwhelming...more like life changing and that submerging yourself in the D life may not be for you. I will tell you even if you find that one person going through the same things, to be able to vent to them, will make such a difference. For me getting involved  gives me a feeling of actually kicking D's butt. That's just me. Just because your not heading a Facebook page  or writing a blog, or volunteering at diabetes events doesn't mean your not doing anything. Taking care of and advocating for YOUR T1D speaks volumes!