Apr 15, 2013

Day 15: #HAWMC Sharing

Diabetes sucks...this is nothing new...you ALL know this.

I will say, I have "met" some great people because of diabetes. Some in real life and others on-line.

I'm not even sure how I stumbled upon my friend, Amy Ermel but I found her, I liked her instantly and she's just awesome!

She has a daughter, Emma, who is a T1D and has made it her mission to create a Diabetic Barbie after hearing about a Cancer Barbie. If Barbie can have Cancer and help kids dealing with Cancer themselves why can't the same be said for Diabetes (or any other illness for that matter)?! I LOVE Barbie...she holds a special place in my heart the hours of playing and changing outfits when I was a kid are priceless. So I was in!

Amy writes a blog called Mom of an extra sweet insulin challenged girl. And today's challenge is to share one of her blog posts and write a comment to her.

Her blog post is called My Sisters. Head on over a take a quick read...I'll wait...go on :)

Dear Amy,

I completely understand this post. I agree, if you would have told me almost 8 years ago that I would be thrown into this crazy D world but find some of the BEST people I would have called you crazy!! D Moms (and D Dads) just get it. It's an unspoken language. The black circles under our eyes speak volumes. The sleepless nights are a given. Outsiders equate the sleepless nights as having a newborn...kinda...but with D your scared for your kids lives hourly, daily, monthly, yearly, until they find a cure...you know! We D Moms speak a different language. Temp basals, increase/decrease, ketones, sensitivity, carb ratios...I'm sure if a passerby was listening in they think we were from a different land. Yep, we are, D-Land.

This D group is a group that we rally, pray, send positive vibes, whatever we do, for each other,   We slap virtual high fives for celebrated  IN RANGE A1C, We pick each other up when the 3 month Endo visit doesn't go so well. We send virtual hugs for our little ones who are fighting lows in their sleep as us Moms and Dads are up force feeding them with skittles, juice, icing, etc.to keep them alive.

You are right, Amy, we ARE sisters (although at times I swear we are related!!!) with every single D Mom  (and Dad's too!!) out there. I am happy to call you my friend...I am happy to call you my family!!

Your Sister,

Jen