Apr 2, 2013

Day 2 of #HAWMC: Sharing

Today's challenge is about sharing. The Diabetes Online Community, or the DOC, will share everything there is to share about diabetes. For as much as we hate this blasted disease we are more than "happy" to tell our stories, share our great ideas and talk about diabetes. Just ask my kids..."Mooommm!! That's all you EVER talk about!!" For this post, however, it's sharing links to our old posts that would help newly diagnosed diabetics. So I'll share our links and/or helpful phrases because...well....that's all I ever talk about!!

Helpful things for the newly diagnosed:

1.
Yes, I know...hard to believe, and I would NOT have believed it myself when my first daughter was diagnosed. By the second daughter's diagnosis...I know this to be true! 

2. Sleep as you know it will cease to exist. Remember having a new born baby in the house? That's a piece of cake compared to the sleepless nights of D-rents (that's Diabetes Parents for those who don't know the lingo).

3. Diabetes is NOT an exact science...don't let anyone tell you differently. They main thing to remember here is don't give up!! Take each day blood sugar number by blood sugar number. Treat, bolus, whatever you need to do but move on. Giving up isn't an option anyway...diabetes will still be there. 

4. Diabetes isn't all rainbows and unicorns. Diabetes isn't all doom and gloom but I will share with you one of our most read blog posts to date. It is a post that no one likes to talk about but everyone sure does get. It's Diabetes: the ugly side. 


I could go on but I'll stop here as I think this would overwhelm any newly diagnosed diabetic or caregiver. Just know that YOU are not alone.