Nov 3, 2012

A Convo with Our Endo...



Day 3 WEGO National Health Blog Post Month Challenge:

"Post about a conversation with your Doctor"

That's easy...today we had Nora's three month check up! She's been running higher, in the 200's, however, we are in full swing puberty. Some days we make zero adjustments others we run temp basals all evening. Of course, I was interested in her A1C (the three month average of blood sugars...basically, the diabetic/caregiver report card. For those of you that have been following our blog for a while you know I don't stress over this number. Because it's just that...a number. I don't beat myself up over it. I take the knowledge I gain the day of the check up and do the best I can.

We have a wonderful Children's hospital here in Cincinnati and we love our Endo! It's the first Doctor that readily admits that we know more than she does about Nora's diabetes. She listens to our concerns and talks to us and helps us come to a plan of action. The other thing about her that I love is she really talks to Nora. This is huge...how wonderful for Nora to go into HER Doctor appointment and participate in HER care. PLUS our Endo goes to Diabetes Camp every year...how cool is that?!? She is just an all around awesome person who happens to be Nora's Endo! 

It's a teaching hospital so it's not uncommon to have multiple doctors or students in our room. Today we had a Med Student, second day on the job. She was a neat lady. She talked to Nora, asked her questions about the pump and CGM and talked girly stuff. If she chooses to walk the Endo path I think she would be fantastic! Anyway, when our Endo came in she looked at all the graphs from the CGM read out asked us what we thought and we stumped her! It was kinda funny...she was at a loss as to what to do (and not in a bad way). She was leary of tweaking numbers too much as to cause too many lows/highs. She finally made peace with herself and after getting our gut feeling on the situation decides she isn't going to change a thing. She's happy with Nora and her diabetes and how she is dealing with all of it. 

Goal: keep doing a good job! 

High fives all around and a see you in three months. I can deal with that. She knows I can tweak on my own and gets that. Like I said before, she knows we are the professionals here. And I feel blessed knowing I don't need to go into my kids Endo office and fight to be heard, or feel guilty because of how her diabetes is or isn't being cared for or feel rushed. We are cared for, praised and loved. And what could be better than that?

(and for those with inquiring minds...7.7 was her A1C...down .1...and that my friends, I'll take all day long!!)