Nov 8, 2012

A Luminary Who Walks the Walk

It is our PRIVILEGE to welcome Alison to the Blue Heel Society Luminary Team. Here is your chance to walk in her Blue Shoes......


Tony's Story:

When Tony was 18 months old, we moved from Washington to Houston, Texas. Even though it was spring we were miserable from the change in weather. We had our first house with a backyard and spent most of our time outside. When he was 20 months old, I noticed Tony was drinking lots of water, but thought it was from the heat, as I was drinking a lot too. The soaked diapers made sense from all that water. Then on May 9, 2007 he slept most of the day. My husband came home from working offshore and commented that he looked real skinny. The next morning, he started to breathe weird. I called the pediatrician and got an appointment for that afternoon. Before the doctor came in, the nurse lectured me because I didn't give him any cold medicine for his labored breathing-which was getting worse. The pediatrician did an exam and told us to go the emergency room because Tony was just dehydrated from a virus and needed an I.V. We waited for a long time in the ER.

Finally someone got a blood sample from him. Moments later, it was chaos. We were told he was in diabetic ketoacidosis and in serious danger. I immediately thought the worst. My Aunt passed away from type 1 diabetes complications when I was a toddler, and from what I knew of her life, it was rough and cut tragically short. That night a critical care team arrived from Texas Childrens Hospital for transport. We stayed by his bed all night in the PICU. For awhile it did not look like he'd make it, a doctor even warned me that she has seen children pass away from this. They had me talk to him every hour to see if they could get him to respond. By morning he woke up and was asking for his sippy cup and I knew he'd be fine, especially when he waved hi to every woman that walked by. He spent a few days in the PICU and a week in the hospital. We had a crash course on how to take care of him; it felt odd
to actually bring home a child with instructions on how to keep him alive!

He could speak only a handful of words so there were many close calls with low blood sugars. He got another emergency transport ride and went to the PICU 6 months later from a stomach bug. Just a little illness throws his body out of whack! We decided to move back to our hometown to get help from family and we appreciate the support we have. He loves weekends at his Grandmas and playing with his cousins. His doctor at Doernbechers are wonderful and has made a lot of changes that make his life easier and better. Tony will tell a doctor to their face that he doesn't like them but tells us he loves his diabetes doctor! Now he is 7 years old and is doing well. He is in second grade and obsessed with ninjas. He was later diagnosed with learning disabilities and neurological issues.  Some doctors believe it's due to his brain swelling in DKA, others say he was born this way but he is getting lots of help.  He's at the great age of asking "why" every few minutes and has a lot of questions about diabetes. A lot of the questions are hard to answer without a few tears. He tells me everyday he hates shots. Most of the time he can tell me he's low, but he hates to slow down to test and treat. He is a great big brother to his almost 4 year old sister, Gemma. They are nearly inseparable. Sometimes he tells me he wishes she has diabetes so she can be like him but then he says he doesn't want her to get hurt like he does. She often tells me she is low in hopes of getting a glucose tablet!

There needs to be more awareness about this disease. Even though I have a family history, I did not know about the signs of type 1 diabetes. A nurse and doctor missed it too. Many people are shocked that such a little guy can even get it. Or even that he got it in the first place since we are a very healthy family. Tony eats a healthier diet than most kids do-he loves raw almonds, berries, and all the vegan food I cook. But because this is an autoimmune disease a healthy diet will not prevent or cure it. When people hear the word "diabetes" they think of obesity problem in America so it must be our fault that he has it. We are grateful that we have better technology than what was available for my Aunt. We look forward to see what the future brings. Someday we hope Tony and others with diabetes will have a cure and he will be able to say "I used to have diabetes"!

Alison
alison@inmyblueshoes.org