Nov 15, 2012

And the beat goes on...FINE....the shoe shopping goes on...


Normally, I tend to be rather blunt about how Diabetes affects my family. I don't tend to *sugar-coat* much of anything...I shoot from the hip and basically, I find that my circle of DOC friends get my drift. Today will be a teeny bit different as November is also a month to give Thanks.....so here goes.

Diabetes has brought a tremendous amount of strife into my life. I was devastated when my child was diagnosed. I was bitter, scared, in shock, terrified of making a mistake....I even once asked someone if I was ALLOWED to make a joke about finding a test strip inside my baby's diaper.....Yeah....I was (fine, still am) profoundly affected by all of the new normal I was being force fed. That was then.

It has almost been three years since I sat in the hospital learning about carbohydrates and different types of injectable insulins. I don't celebrate a diaversary as my child could care less about talking about diabetes. He lives with it. He celebrates life everyday.

I have been spending this month giving Thanks....out loud and spreading awareness about what Diabetes is in my home. I adopted the A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh version of discussing Diabetes this month, as it is the audiobook currently playing in my car. It goes something like this....Chapter 1, in which Pooh and Piglet find a Heffalump...and so, as my *very little brain* works, it resonated with me. I write a chapter each day about what I am Thankful for and a little nugget about Diabetes. Seems rather fitting since last year, I nearly bawled my eyes out every day trying to post the NO GLITTER DIABETES efforts.

My point, and I do have one, is this. I am Thankful for people who truly understand what Diabetes really is. The good, the bad, the meh, the victories. They all matter. And, I am Thankful for the support and the unreal amount of LOVE I get from people at Blue Heel Society.

Speaking of chapters.....HAVE YOU JOINED OUR LUMINARIES?? This is a diverse, kick ass group of men and women who live with or love someone with Diabetes and have formed local *chapters* to raise awareness for Diabetes, in some pretty ingenious ways. Take a minute, look around and share with us what you are Thankful for this month.

I am thankful for new boots too....but that's a blog for another day.