Nov 23, 2012

Day 23 WEGO 'National Health Blog Post Month (#NHBPM)' Challenge


Day 23 of the WEGO Blog Challenge we are to write about "Something your doctor taught you or you taught your doctor?"

This topic is easy for me, as I spoke of something similar for Day 8 “The best doctor’s appointment”

Here's an excerpt and a portion of what transpired, talking about Diabetic Foot Ulcers & Neuropathy:

"What happens is over time, the foot naturally grows callous material especially in the one spot on the ball of the foot, under the big toe...kinda. When the callous becomes larger the body try's to fight
this by pushing the callous out. Underneath the callous not visible to the eye initially is a little wound, so when the callous material is removed (by cutting it away), one can then take care of what remains of wound by covering and dressing it daily, until; eventually closes.

The Doctor asked the NP to get another stool from another room for me. He then put the stool right next to him and told me to sit there. I was then given gloves and some very funky glasses with ultra high magnification. Doctor M then said "Watch what I do, how I do it, and listen VERY closely as you watch what I am about to do, because when we are done you will know EXACTLY what to do, and be able to do it at home."

It was by far the BEST teaching experience a Doctor had every afforded me the opportunity to have. He taught me not only the *how* part, but at the same time explained the *why* part. He taught me how best to not FEAR these episodes and how to be more proactive in doing so.

In retrospect, there is a deeper message that did both, something the Doctor taught me, I taught him, and at the same time...TRUST.

He trusted me enough to teach me, actually take the time to enlighten and empower me AND my favorite Diabetic. But he also taught me the most important thing, and that is I can once again have faith that there are REAL hero's in the Medical profession.

Now the next phase will be upon me soon, when I have to 'glove up' and remove callous material. Kind of "sculpt the foot" as I was taught. Now I have a problem drawing stick men, and the word 'sculpt' is nowhere in my bag of expertise. But I not only know *what* to do, but I have the inner faith in myself to do so....and REAL *hope* that I will accomplish what I need to do.