Nov 18, 2012

Day 18...Dueling blog


Today on our 18th post I'm a blogging duo...we have a choice of two topics per day but both are resonating with me so I'm covering both topics.

The topic for today:

"I want to change this about healthcare..." or "Write about your advice for someone caring for a patient with diabetes". 

As I said, I'm doing both...what can I say, over achiever!

First...healthcare.

I would like to change the relationship we have with healthcare. I don't wish to be a member number...I wish to be a name. A family with needs. LOTS of needs. Just recently, our insurance has done just that. Without going into boring details. I feel like I've been punched in the gut. The rug has literally been pulled out underneath me. And the crappy part about all this...they haven't even notified me of the changes. Our hospital has and has been advocating on our behalf for the past two weeks. So here we scramble to fill this huge hole. Bottom line we will be getting what we need but in a different way. But it's just the way they haven't shown one ounce of concern for us as a family that has been on a journey of healthy care and not to mention the TONS of money they make off my kids chronic conditions.

Second...advice.

Patience and compassion are key for someone caring for a patient with diabetes. As many of the caregivers out there know there is a fine line in caring, showing concern and coming across to the diabetic as shall we say, nagging?! So patience is key. Gentle reminders to check BG's or if snacks/meals have been bolused for. Compassion for the diabetic who is tired and/or frustrated. Who doesn't want to wash their hands before checking their blood sugar. Who wants to eat first before figuring out carb counts. The caregiver needs to let the diabetic vent and get frustrated without themselves getting frustrated.

And isn't that easier said than done?

One of the key pieces of advice I give, especially to newly diagnosed families, is NOT to beat yourself up. As we all know, diabetes has a mind of its own. It doesn't matter how accurately we weigh food and count carbs, if BG's are taken precisely every three hours, if activity level is just right or hormone levels are perfect...D will come in and mess all that up. ESPECIALLY when first diagnosed. I'm not telling people to be lax but don't consider yourself a failure for doing the best job you can do as a HUMAN pancreas.

Advocate for your diabetic. I'm not talking march down to Washington and speak directly to the POTUS. By all means if you wish to then please do!! But, if that's a little out of your comfort zone advocate starting at school or work. Fight for your diabetic. They have rights. They  have diabetes. But, first and foremost, they have rights.

.Lastly, as I've seem to have written a book here, love and listen to them. They need you more than ever. Even if they say they don't! Be their rock. Their sound board, wipe their tears, laugh with them over finding test strips in weird places, rally with them when they are feeling down, rejoice for the BG check you didn't have to remind them to do and be their big, squishy pillow when they need a hug.