Nov 29, 2012

Have I changed? ... #NHBPM Day 29



The National Health Blog Post Month is almost done!! I can't believe it!!

Today we are asked to share:

"How being a patient/caregiver has changed you."

Hmmm...I've always been a speak my mind type of gal. If I feel strongly enough about "x" then I will stand firm on my belief. It doesn't take much for me to get fired up about something...just ask my hubby! The difference is...my kids. Momma Bear comes out in FULL force and will kill if needed...well, kill is a strong word but you get what I mean. Since I have been vocal and advocating for diabetes for Nora since 2004 it's been an easy transition when needing to be vocal and advocate for our son, Jackson, and his bleeding condition. This has set me up to now be vocal and advocate for Evelyn. Although, with Evelyn, it's a little different, being that she is 18. I think, if nothing else, she has seen me in that role and has been doing that for herself for a while in everything she does.

I will tell you that being vocal and advocating for your kids helps in ALL aspects of their health condition. It helps with talking with Doctor's, Nurse's, the dreaded Insurance, school, sports...just about everywhere. I know when someone is feeding me a line of BS and will call them out on it instead of listening to them and actually doing it. I have told Nurse's what is expected when they stick my son for his infusion...and I've told more than one Nurse that I allow then two tries to gain access to his vein and if they don't succeed then I may have to punch them. Ghastly! However, if it's your son getting stuck for IV access, you might say the exact same thing...maybe nicer. BUT those Nurse's know I mean business!!

It has changed me by speaking out about, educating, raising awareness and giving people a glimpse into our lives. And by people I mean you, your neighbor, the stranger down the street, the person in another country and yes, even talking to lawmakers. Pretty much I'll talk to anyone and if they learn something BONUS!!

I guess it's changed me by turning my getting fired up into getting fired up for a PURPOSE....MY KIDS!