Nov 28, 2012

Day 28 of the WEGO #NHBPM - "Trolls/Snakeoil /Bullies"



For Day 28 of the WEGO National Health Blog Post Month we are asked to 'Write about how you deal with mean comments / trolls / snakeoil / or bullies".

To be honest, this was a morning that started out BLAH, and I was having problems and drawing blanks for the above topic, Bonus topics and came *THAT* close to using one of our "Get out of posting FREE" days. Then it dawned on me (as dawn came upon me), that as I looked at the above topic it became very clear. It became ever so apparent that I just stumbled upon another reason why we love our BLUETIFUL peeps so much.


In the five or so years I have been involved with the Diabetes Online Community (DOC) I have seen SO MANY mean comments/Trolls/Snakeoil /Bullies that at times it made me wonder why I even try. Bickering between the masses is something that normally is just there in most every Community, online or in real life, and it bothers me still to this day.


WE DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE ABOVE DISTRACTIONS!!!

I am still in amazement at this discovery that I just made today. I can honestly say that in the year & two weeks we have been in operation, I cannot remember a single instance that sticks out, where these distractions have been an issue.

My normal self would get obsessed trying to figure out and explain WHY this is. Instead, I am sticking with the "If it works don't fix it" theory. But I can explain the WHY part very easily.

We rarely talk directly about diabetes in our Blog post's, Facebook Fan Page, various guest post's we are asked to do, and interviews. We don't need to bring up WHY we are all gathered together under a united front, it is implied by our Message & Mission. We get enough about diabetes in our REAL LIFE, and our Community can be somewhat of a 'safe haven', an escape if you will, from the Diabetes Monster.

Another reason in my mind is that we embrace EVERYONE affected by diabetes...all Forms (Types), Caregivers, Parents, Siblings, diabetic or not.

Now we can't take all the credit, because without our Friends/Fans/Followers, this would not be the case. We are blessed with some of the most amazing people that truly understand that we do not have to be 'Debbie Downers' all day as that is counter-productive to why we are here, and the simplicity of wearing a Shoe of Blue is all it takes! We know the WHY part all too well...