Nov 19, 2012

It's a Matter of Life and Death...day 19



Today's challenge in the our National Health Blog Post Month for WEGO health is not quite a challenge but a heavy topic in the house where diabetes lives...

"write about life and death..."

Death is something my 12 year old daughter has been dealing with since 2005. I'd say the past couple of years it's been an issue.It doesn't cripple her in fear or in not doing things. It's just on her mind. Not for sure what triggered it. She's never had a close or bad episode of D. But she is very aware that early death caused by diabetes is a reality for her. A few years ago she even wondered aloud, "Mom, how do  you think I'll die?" Uh, hopefully you will live a long healthy life I told her as I crumbled inside.

My eldest daughter, took to sleeping in my 12 year olds room to make sure she was okay. She would come get me if I didn't hear the pump alarms going off. And in turn, since her diagnosis, she likes me to check her in the middle of the night; in case she goes low. So, yes, we still do the 3am check! I don't mind. It gives us all piece of mind.

On the flip side, they don't let diabetes stop them. They live life to the fullest. Nora is a multi sport player while keeping good grades in school. Evelyn is working a part time job and going to college full time. They both help me at JDRF Outreach Events when they can. They like meeting other diabetics and talking with them. They have fun and goof around like non D kids. Sure, they may need to stop and take a blood sugar or bolus for carbs eaten but they are still "normal" kids.

I guess it's a good/bad thing. I mean, at 12, I didn't think about death. In my experience, old people died; not kids. But with my kids knowing about mortality I think it helps with them taking an active role in their personal health care. It helps them enjoy life. They live for the moment and aren't afraid to live for their future. I think it's taught me to cherish the time I have with them, do the best job I can and live for the day!