Nov 21, 2012

Day 21 and I'm Mental!


Today, our challenge is to write about:

"Mental Health"

Of course, I'm talking the mental health of a mother who cares for diabetic kids. And there are days...

Days when I've been up all night fighting lows or highs.

When the CGM won't shut up!

When I've been force feeding my kid smarties, skittles, juicy juice only to have her meter tell me she is lower than what she started out at.

Setting temporary basals for how much, how long, what am I doing?

All the while my baby sleeps peacefully. The only acknowledgement of her said low is the skittle residue she tastes in her mouth.

And then I am to function as a human being the next day, seriously?!?!

Then I'm on the phone with the school nurse because she has the rebound highs or lows depending on what she was the night before...

I'm downing the umpteenth cup of coffee.

Holy crap, Batman...we need a nap here!

There are those days when I feel like throwing in the towel. Don't wanna deal with D anymore!

But then there are days numbers runs beautifully. Where D has decided to play nice. When everything works perfectly. Our world, MY world is good.

And then D plays dirty and well...it's just enough to make you crazy!! Really.

Chasing highs/lows, running after her to take her blood sugar, stopping a bite of food before she eats to make sure she has taken her blood sugar or measured out her food. Talking diabet-ease, like a foreign language. My poor husband can't keep up with our conversations! Answering phone calls, scheduling appointments, attending meetings, etc. I'm pretty certain that if Google Earth had x-ray vision into our home I'd look like a chicken with it's head cut off!!

But, nope, it's just crazy me...a sleep deprived, D Momma!