Nov 11, 2012

Blue Heel Society Featured 'Fan Of The Week' is Pat Wohlin


Today we would like to feature one of our Facebook peeps chosen earlier this Month 


Thanks to the generosity of the Developers of our BHS Fan Of The Week (FOTW) Application, we have a full working version of their Top Fan Application that allows us to showcase our Bluetiful peeps, based on computer magic (Randomness) & multiple interaction factors on our Facebook Page.

This weeks featured Fan of the Week (FOTW) is Pat Wohlin, and we asked Ms. Wohlin to answer a few questions as to learn a little more about her.

BHS: Connection w/ diabetes?

PW: my connection with Diabetes is Type 1 = 37 years, 38 in April 2013.

BHS: General geographic location?

PW: I live in Atlanta Georgia, and just recently moved into a high-rise which was my dream for many years.

BHS: What blue shoe (Heel, sneaker, riding shoe, etc.) suits you & Why?

PW: I love my PF Flyers. I have them in multiple colors but Blue rules on Friday!

BHS: What does advocacy mean to you?

PW: Advocacy to means being open about Diabetes. I don't hide it as I did when I was younger, I mean....my life could depend upon someone knowing I have Diabetes that is around me! I think back at all the years I tried to hide it and just say. "Why, and what for?".

BHS: Blog/site/twitter/organization?

PW:  I raise money each year for JDRF

BHS: Words of wisdom/encouraging statement/general statement about diabetes?

PW:  Encouragement: Learn to live openly with your Diabetes. If possible, use an Insulin Pump and learn how to count carbs.Sugar free foods: Not for me. They put things in them that people shouldn't really eat. If I want to eat chocolate, I just dial the carbs in. I count carbs religiously so I can eat like a normal human being. Test your Blood Glucose Levels several times daily if you're not on a Continuous Glucose Monitior. There is no excuse not to! Know your own body and how it reacts to different foods. Everyone is different. Remember, your life depends upon you and your will power and the desire to succeed. Sometimes that means saying no to things that you really want (like alcohol) and dealing with it. Diabetes is not for wimps!

Complications: Despite maintaining an A1c of 5.8% for years, I developed frozen shoulder. I've had two surgeries and 2 years of Physical Therapy, but I look forward to each day despite the pain. Never give up, even when your Physical Therapy has your arm jammed behind your back!