Nov 1, 2012

T1D day...



This is an extra, impromptu post. I can't help myself....I just am full of blogs running around in my head. Lucky you, you get to read my insanity!! :)

Today is T1D day. The day that kicks off National Diabetes Awareness Month. I signed up to do the JDRF T1D challenge. You sign up and receive several texts throughout the day reminding you to check your blood sugar, stay upbeat, that you are running high or low and what to do. Let me just tell you it was a pain in the ass!!

It woke me up to tell me I needed to make sure I packed all my diabetes supplies for the day.

Then it text me a pep talk.

Then it told me I had eaten breakfast two hours earlier, need to check my blood sugar and I was running high.

Next, I was hungry, had to eat an apple, count carbs and bolus for eating and figure out what I'm having for lunch.

My fingers are sore from testing, it tells me, and try using my thumb.

Lunchtime. Time to test, count carbs eat, bolus, I'm high again!

Now it's 90 minutes since I ate and I'm feeling low; need to grab some OJ to bring blood sugar back up.

I'm feeling sluggish and emotionally spent from my earlier low. Stay positive!

It's been 2 hours since my low blood sugar. Need to test again. Yay! It's right where it should be!

I'm home. But now I'm going to go on a 2 mile run. Take necessary precautions.

Blood sugar is good!! I consumed extra carbs during my run to prevent a low!

It's almost dinner, check BG, what am I eating and how much, oh, and remember, I just went for a run!

I had a great dinner and bolus.

Crap, now my  insulin vial is almost empty and I need to reorder supplies.

I skipped dessert and want some cake or ice cream...should I or not?

Okay...I honestly don't know how grown-up T1's do it. One of these text messages was during a conference call I was on. The other times I was at work.

 I couldn't be bothered.

Wait, what?!?!

Yep, I felt like it was nagging me!!

I felt like how my girls must feel when I nag them to do all the things above. UGH!! Granted, it's only a blimp on their/your diabetic life but WOW...D is really a pain!!

And on a somewhat different, yet related, note...I was planning on borrowing one of the girls meters...we have like 5 spare...but I had a  friend today post on his fb wall that he is fighting insurance to cover an increase of test strips for his diabetic wife. What's the increase? From 50 to 150...for the MONTH!! This infuriates me!!! 150 test strips...we go through that in 2 weeks..more if blood sugars aren't in range. How could I "play/borrow" my kids test strips when my friend can't even get a proper amount for his wife to test for the month?! I couldn't. So I didn't. I will cherish the 300 x 2 I get for both my girls each month knowing that there are MANY diabetics without proper test strips, insulin and supplies to take care of their diabetes. Knowing that we need to make a difference. I need to make a difference. To help people, in our own community, get the things they need to live.

Will you?